Thursday, July 20, 2006

Indy to Lake Michigan


I'm posting from my good friend Stan Miller's home office in Norton Shores, MI. Here's a photo of the Miller's (Stan, Barb and their daughter Stephanie). Just over Stan's shoulder is the shore of Lake Michigan. They've been super hosts. We had great bar-b-q'd ribeye steaks last night and I slept well in their guest room.

Today I woke to the sound of rain. Actually sometime around 4:30 this morning I heard a long loud roll of thunder and thought it might signal a wet day. But it appears to be my favorite kind of rain, that which happens while you sleep. This morning there were a few lingering drops, but it has stopped and the radar looks clear for my ride up north to Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

My rest day in Indy was fun. I had breakfast with my good friend Heather and then we headed over to the Suzuki dealer to see about getting a windshield installed on the bike (because if I'm not riding, I have to do something motorcycle related). As it turned out they had one shield in stock and could install it that day. We left the bike at the shop and went to tour the Indianapolis Speedway.

The tour is a funny little 10 minute ride in a minivan around the actual race track. The driver plays a CD with information about the track, it's history and the family that owns it. It's a perfect bit of kitsch. As is the small museum we walked through before the minivan ride.

Heather and her man Bones were great hosts and I'm glad to have made Indy a stop on this trip. I'm always fascinated by things like the speedway, a monstrous structure that is used only parttime, yet a town and an industry are built around it. My only regret, I failed to get any photos as I left my camera behind all day (because I'm an idiot ... sometimes).

Yesterday's ride was an easy one, about 260 miles north from Indy to Norton Shores, MI. The only problem is this massive knot in the upper left of my back which only bothers me when I sit with my arms out in front of me (so when I ride or type). I'll need to find a good massage therapist when I get to LA. Other than that the ride was shorter then the first 2 days and it ended at the home of friends which is always a good way to finish a ride.

So the sun isn't out, but the rain has definitely ended. I'm going to pack up the gear and head up north now.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was nice meeting you DJ. Thanks for visiting us and playing with Stephanie. :)

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home