Saturday, July 29, 2006

Learning Patience

So today went a lot like yesterday. After I left the bike shop, I drove some 130 miles, shut her off at a gas station in Ten Sleep, WY. and she wouldn't start again. I had shut her down at least twice, once to get some lunch and again to gas up a little while later. She kicked right over both times with no problem. But the third time, she wouldn't.

Now, this could have been worse because I happened to be up a mountain, in between towns, 20 minutes earlier. I stopped to take a few photos, but left her running for 4 or 5 minutes while I snapped some shots and rolled out again. I was a little leery of shutting her down in the middle of nowhere again.

I only shut her down when I was at a gas station with a motel across the street. Unfortunately, the motel was booked solid and there isn't another one in Ten Sleep, WY. But another biker had pulled into the station and he and I tried to push start the bike. We tried three or four times with no luck. Willard (my biker friend) offered me a ride to the next town which is larger and has more motels.

I got myself one of the last few rooms in Worland, WY. Fortunately, there's internet and cell phone service here, so I feel connected to the world, even though, at the same time, I feel very far away from it. It seems I'm destined to remain in Wyoming for at least the weekend. I can get another tow in the morning and try to get this problem resolved, but most bike shops close early on Saturday and are closed Sunday. So here I am.

Now - for the good news. I've been carrying about 5 books with me since I left NYC, and have been thinking of shipping them home because they are a lot to carry around (one of them is even a hardcover book). I had packed them in case I ran into a few days of rain and decided to hole up somewhere ... like here.

So it isn't the weather that stopped my, but something I didn't expect. But what's the difference? I'm here and I can't ride. Once I get the bike fixed I'll be back on the road and I'll finish out the trip. Until then, my traveling library will come in handy.

Though it's not how I thought this trip would go, I'm still glad to be out here. I've had some absolutely fabulous days of riding, and I'll have more ahead of me. For now, I'm learning to be patient, which is a lesson I obviously need (or at least that's the lesson being taught this weekend, so I might as well pay attention).

Last thing - when I first got to Wyoming, I noticed the color of the earth was different, the soil is darker than anywhere else I've been ... it looks like burnt toast. I don't know why. But it is interesting.

I'll post again tomorrow when I know more.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with the bike. I've had car trouble on vacations once or twice and know how frustrating it can be. Hang in there, and I hope you're rolling again soon.

BTW, I don't anything about bike engines, but I gather they're pretty typical internal-combustion engines, so here's my theory: When a car has these symptoms the first thing I think of is the alternator. If the first shop replaced the alternator and called it fixed, then I'd look for shorts between the alternator and the battery.

What, you're not taking the thing apart yourself yet? ;-)

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home